Thursday, September 24, 2009

Nerds know everything


I don't know how this whole stereotype evolved that portrays geeks as social outcasts. They know more about how society works than anyone else.

Let me explain...

My boyfriend is an electrical engineer. He gave me a book about the basics of electronics when I expressed a desire to know what it is that he does and enjoys. I'm not kidding, this book is a bunch of photo-copied notebook paper pages bound in paperback. It's hand-written, with lovely little drawings that make electrons look like little Zoloft blobs. Radio shack first put this thing out in 1983 with a disclaimer about it's accuracy.


And it's practically a text-book on social behavior!

Check it out, electricity is just the flow of individual electrons - lets say that's society made up of different people. As I read the tools used to channel and direct the electrons in order to create power... it astounded me!

It confirmed that my relationship with my boyfriend is natural (opposites attract). And have you ever seen a sine wave? Looks like the moods of the average woman on any given day. In fact, I'm sure they could invent a multimeter that measures moods by blood pressure and tone of voice.

And then there's the "noise" factor. A current that has a lot of interference from other electrical sources looks fuzzy and isn't as efficient. HENCE the recent legal activity regarding cell phones and driving.

Oh, and then there's resistance. Let's say voltage is the amount of stuff you need to do, and current is the amount of stuff you actually get done. In both cases, resistance limits the latter in relation to the former.

HAH! SEE? Nerds are experts!

That expression about the geeks ruling the world... it's true! They control us from where they sit hunched over at their desks. Acting as the "load" of the relationship, all they have to do is create the right charges and we will automatically be set in motion to supply them with all the power! To do with as they wish!

Don't believe me? Who invented the i-phone. Yeah, scary.

At least I have a boyfriend who prefers to use his power to buy soldering irons, RC airplanes, and rootbeer.

...For now...

No comments: