Monday, May 14, 2012

Confession of a blogger

You knew it was coming. Eventually bloggers would run out of things to blog about and then they would blog about blogging.

Blogging is like a new toy that the world got excited about, but few ever learn how to use effectively and most fall out of love with over time.

Remember the beginning of cell phones? When if your cell phone rang you HAD to answer it because you had a CELL PHONE and people could CALL you anywhere and WERE calling you and you could TALK to them right NOW.

Now, most often you see people reach into their pocket for their ringing device, check the number, and put it back. Eventually, we realized that the cell phone was freedom from one thing and tether to another.

Blogging is much the same. Blogs spring up from people who are eager to publish their thoughts, only to run out of thoughts within a year. Almost immediately, a blog begins to feel like a giga-pet.

Unfortunately, this doesn't stop people from continuing to blog anyways.

I began "New Eyes" as a class assignment, and kept it up out of the same self-absorbed sense that I was uniquely clever and the world was just waiting for me to share my thoughts. Of course, college can do that to you. So can being an American. So can being 20 years old.

Graduation arrived with speeches about soaring high, spreading the wings of our unmatched talent and wisdom that will carry us to whatever ends we can dream of now that we have overcome that hardest of all life's challenges: college.

And then the crash into the reality that not only does the world sail on without us at the helm... but we can't even get a job swabbing the deck.

It's not so bad, actually, to realize that you are not so smart. Or clever, or funny, or insightful. It's like catching a fairy and realizing that it is only a lightning bug... and you have squished it.

But the let-down is so quickly over shadowed by the incredible things that squished me, the bug who thought I was a fairy. Like a lunar eclipse on a freezing morning. Adele's perfect voice. A TED.com video about technology that can shoot mosquitoes out of the air with lasers. My own friends and family astonish me with their courage and determination.

Instead of enlightening my reader, I find that the one who needs new eyes is myself.

So after some time away, I am picking up this blog again, but now with the humility that comes from knowing that anything I say has been said better, and most of what I know I learned from you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know this is an "old" post, but it doesn't make your words any less true... :) I love your writing voice - don't give up on it! I think you should take that voice into fiction!