Sunday, May 8, 2011

the phases of the MOM

My mother loved watching us grow up. 

She often paused to savor the fleeting moments of our childhood. Sometimes with a toddler on her lap while she read Dr. Seuss's ABC's for the umpteenth time. Sometimes standing at the window watching us make snow angels.

For the span of a sigh, her face was the picture of peace and joy. The moment captured forever, folded neatly, and tucked into one of the pockets of her soul.

Mom commented on our phases a lot. We went through weird phases, funny phases, awkward phases, goofy phases, hyper phases... phases when we slept a lot, and phases when we ate a lot. Mom kept track of them all. She would say "I think you're going through a difficult phase," - "I can't wait until your smart-mouth phase is over" and often, tenderly, with a sleeping child on her shoulder...

"I love this phase. I wish they stayed this way forever."

What Mom didn't know was that I enjoyed watching her almost as much. And her phases were equally diverse.

When I was a child, my mom went through a silly phase. She was always ready for a game of Sorry, every sock was a sock puppet, and every rule had a song to go with it.

When things got tight, mom went through a clever phase. She explained to me how she could manage her grocery budget to feed the whole family of 8 on $20 a day or less. Her genius for finding sales, reusing materials, and making a little extra cash here and there astounded me.


When mom became a lifeguard, she went through a safety phase. All of a sudden, we could do nothing without hearing her yell "Hey! That could cause a spinal injury!"

Then, when I turned 13, my mother went through a phase where she knew nothing at all about anything. It happened almost overnight, and lasted until I turned 19. For six whole years, everything she said was OBVIOUSLY retarded. It was SUPER embarrassing and I'm so glad that she grew out of it.

Because now, Mom is on to new phases. She is a writer, teacher, speaker, entrepreneur, and friend. It's amazing, and I hope she stays this way forever.

Over the years, we have watched Mom constantly add to her knowledge, practice her trade, and grow as a writer to become the accomplished and influential person that she is. Often, when her article was accepted, story approved, speaking engagement well attended, I would hear her say in humble excitement "I'm a writer! Who would have thought?"

I always want to answer "I would have thought."

When we were growing up, Mom encouraged us to continue sharpening our skills, to have the courage to follow our passions, and to let go of what is good in order to reach for what is best. Our ability to take that advice doesn't come from hearing it. It comes from watching her live by it.

And that is the very definition of inspiration.



[To see what I mean, go to MarciSeither.com to meet my Mother]

2 comments:

marci seither said...

I must be in a "Crying Phrase"
because tears flowed freely as I read this... Thanks so much..being your mom has been the joy of my life.

sarah said...

This is so beautiful! Your mom must be as proud of you as you are of her!

Sarah Goebel
www.blogwithsarah.com