Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Do I have to?



Valentines Day is a dilemma of great magnitude. 

It truly is unfair to guys when the woman says "You don't need to get me anything" but then she sulks when her man obediently ignores the TV commercials for valentines day gifts, drives past the road-side stands selling roses, and side-steps the special displays in the grocery store featuring boxes of chocolates and little teddy bears.

I resolved not to be that woman who says one thing but wants another. So, when my guy asked me "Do I have to get you anything for Valentine's Day?" I bit down on the "no, that's okay" that was already between my teeth and thought first. "Yes," I replied. "It doesn't have to be big, even flowers mean a lot."

And instead of feeling better, I felt like a total materialistic bitch.

Instead of being upset about what the woman's answer is, why don't we ask why she is even being asked in the first place? I mean, seriously guys - you are asking your woman if you are obligated to do something that you should be compelled to do all by yourself - display your appreciation and affection.

By the time the man asks if he needs to get her something, the purpose of the gift is already moot.

Think about it.

No comments: